Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Deadly Day

Is it weird that I'm obsessed with looking at obituaries? I find something so fascinating about reading a persons history. I can feel a connection to families grief when reading a complete strangers obit. There is so much heartfelt emotion written into obituaries, it moves my soul and truthfully (/embarrassingly) brings me to tears at times. Some obituaries go on and on while others are short.  Some praise the deceased as if they were a god on earth while others are right to the point. I skip through some quickly while I read others word for word. But at the end of the day, our obituary is in a sense a final contribution to the world from our souls.  A final glimpse for strangers and friends alike to recap what's been done. A final piece of history that is somehow supposed to define an entire life of trials and tribulations. But does it really? Does one single piece of writing define who we are as people and the contribution we had to the world while we walk it?  I guess we are all remembered by more than just this final piece at the end of the day, but it's weird to think that one day all that will be left of us is an obituary in an old newspaper. 

One of the most moving ones I've read in awhile:


No comments:

Post a Comment