Friday, March 28, 2014

This Job-

I love blowing people's minds...in a good way. I love when a client doubts me and I can shock them. I love when they come in fearing judgment, and they get the exact opposite: complete acceptance. I love when they expect naivety and they get knowledge. I love when they fear revealing the truth, but find peace in letting it go. I love when they expect a by-the-book social worker, and I use words they would use, like "shit" and "fuck". "Fuck it", "fuck them", "let them deal with their shit", "stay away from the shit" are phrases that come out in my office. It may not be the most therapeutic way, but sometimes it is what people need to hear and the attitude they need to take. It's usually really hard for me to recognize what I love (or some days even LIKE) about this job, but it's the truth that "shocking" people is a thrill. Proving their fears wrong is fun. Proving their doubts wrong is what I thrive for. Another thing I love. The diversity that I have seen. I attended an educational seminar yesterday regarding culture, and it made me aware of how much I truly appreciate different cultures and being exposed to them. Not only different cultures, but different PEOPLE in general. I've almost seen it all in here: foreigners here to work, oil patch men here to work, local farmers, gay, straight, abusers, business men and women, victims of abuse...the list goes on almost forever. I am blessed to have been exposed to these various people, no matter how "down" I get about my job some days. May I repeat...I AM BLESSED to have been touched by these people. I have met single moms who make ends meet in impossible situations; heard women tell stories of HORRENDOUS abuse they have survived; consoled people who lose siblings at a young age; people who go through some of the hardest situations imaginable but persevere. How can I not be inspired every day? Now, let's keep in mind that clearly I have had a "good" week of clients. A "good" week of crisis. A "good" last session that's got me on a high. There are days where I simply cannot feel that way; that's the truth. There are days where I will see plateau's in people when I know they can do better. There are days where I feel the frustration of people simply not giving a shit about themselves. The days I feel anger because people refuse to accept that they know how to feel better. But on those days...I need to remind myself of these days. The days where I see amazing change. The days where I am inspired by people who open up and truly desire change. The days where I am thankful to have been a part of their lives, no matter for how short (or long!) a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment